Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Week 4 - Passion Project 2017 - Letters and Learning


My task this week was writing a letter to Katherin. I received a new photo of her in the mail this week, which seemed like fortuitous timing and gave me the added push to finish my letter to her. I let her know about my decision to do Passion Projects in class, and that I will also be learning something new this year as part of that initiative.
Katherin

Writing my intentions to Katherin has significantly increased the pressure and motivation to learn Spanish and to continue to practice every day. I think that a lot of our motivation needs to come from inside, but it is also helpful to have a nudge from the outside world to keep us on track sometimes. Knowing that there is a person out there in the world who would be disappointed if I don't follow through on my plans makes it that much more significant.

I took a one-day break from Duolingo last Friday, and I didn't realize how much I would care about breaking my streak! I was on a 14-day streak, and I have had to start over... I'm back up to a 5-day streak, and I'm determined not to break this one! My mom has also decided to start using Duolingo to learn Spanish (she is going to visit my sister in Costa Rica this May, and wants to be able to communicate with people while she is there). It's motivating to have someone else doing a similar Passion Project with me!

PS - "hija" means "daughter"

I have found myself thinking of Spanish words now and then during the day - not so much at school, because I spend a lot of the day speaking French, but certainly at home. I am starting to talk about clothing and food in Spanish (those are the two biggest sets of words I have learned so far) - my husband isn't sure what to make of it! Maybe he will learn some Spanish just by listening to me ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment