Saturday, April 8, 2017

Week 3 - Passion Project 2017 - Plateau

I feel as though I've reached a bit of a plateau in learning Spanish. What I mean by that, is I seem to be doing the same activities over and over and not making much project. I think this is because I am still trying to build up my vocabulary, so I cannot yet really communicate in Spanish - but at the same time, I'm a little bored with building my vocabulary one or two words at a time.

I've been finding it slightly difficult to make time to practice with Duolingo every day. I know that 10-15 minutes is not very long, but some days it feels like more of an effort to take that time. I haven't missed a day yet, however, so I'm feeling good about that!

A 14 day streak is pretty exciting!


Moving forward, I think I need to challenge myself more during those 10-15 minutes. Rather than only doing vocabulary learning lessons, I will make it a priority to do one of the chats, one vocabulary learning lesson, and one review lesson to strengthen the skills I have already worked on. I hope that this will make my Duolingo sessions more motivating and meaningful.

I haven't yet written to Katherin to tell her about my Passion Project, and that is high on my list of things to accomplish this week. Adding that extra layer of motivation will be extremely helpful for me!
In the middle of writing this blog post, my husband asked if I would like to try a video game that he is really enjoying. It is called Terraria and is similar to Minecraft in many ways. I was ready for a break, so I agreed that we could install it on my computer and give the multiplayer version a try.

What came next was very exciting for me... you can choose to play Terraria in SPANISH! All at once, I was excited about learning Spanish again. I set up my Terraria character (I named her La Erina) and entered the game with Spanish as my default language. I felt gleeful as I tried to navigate the world, and really excited to meet Scott (the first NPC you encounter in the game) - I was able to decipher most of his dialogue, and I plan on speaking to him multiple times within the game so that I can practice understanding.



No comments:

Post a Comment